Thursday, December 11, 2014

My Evolution: How Six Weeks Turned Into A Lifetime, Episode 6

"A huge part of losing weight is believing you can do it and realizing it's not going to happen overnight."

Fair enough...

But I'm not losing weight, I'm saying goodbye to it. I have no intentions of finding it again. ;)


I realize that my weight may be coming off slowly. I acknowledge that I have setbacks, and I acknowledge that I'm not always strong. But with every day that passes, I learn a new lesson. And each lesson gets me closer to my goal. A new weight, a new outlook, a new level of fitness. 

Gradually, I'm saying goodbye to the 'old' Samantha and allowing in the warrior that's been inside of me this whole time, aching to come out. I cannot continue to beat myself up for how I would've looked if had I taken my health and life seriously sooner. I cannot dwell on how I would've felt if I had thought to believe in myself a little sooner. And I certainly can't let the demons win, regardless of how much they fight. 

Fluctuations aside, I crushed the 50lb mark last month. I plateaued recently, but I haven't shut down or given up (I'm in the process of switching things up to get things jumping again!). Mood-wise, I've been up and down and believe it or not, I'm trying to not look at this as a major victory. I still have a long way to go, and I'm afraid that celebrating this will make me complacent. I want to stay hungry for the remainder of this journey. I really don't want to stop, no matter how many stray pieces of chocolate or peanut butter cups I 'accidentally' nosh on. With that in mind, here's my before/so far pic - forgive the darkness, I'm awful at mirror selfies!



I examine this photo daily. What's funny to me is that I initially didn't see a difference, at least not visually. The scale and the measuring tape gave me numbers that I was happy with, but I didn't realize until I set up this photo that I was really on my way. It's silly - it didn't hit me until now. The changes I've made are long lasting. I'm in this for good. I can do this. 

Eat clean. Work Hard. Don't Stop. Go All in. 

These days, I pull my inspiration from everywhere. I'm a part of an amazing accountability group on Facebook and gradually adding workouts to my regime. I've got so many people to thank for the inspiration, motivation, and life-changing results - but I still wax romantic that, one year and two days ago, it was just me and Joe. He was right - the numbers 3:59 changed my life forever. While I haven't hit my personal best yet, I know it's out there. Can I just quote a Terminator movie while I'm in the zone? "There is no fate but what we make."

Believe it, babies - if you put in the work, you will see results. I keep writing these posts (with gaps, admittedly) in the hopes that someone might learn from my experiences faster than I have. The cool news is, you're not alone. What sometimes gets difficult to remember is that, if you're not alone, then I can't be either. 

xo,
S. 

No comments:

Post a Comment