Monday, September 30, 2013

So You Think You Can Write?

...yup, I think I can. 

For those of you not in the know, allow me to explain: So You Think You Can Write is an annual Mills & Boon/Harlequin event. Writers from all over get together and participate in these amazing online writing conferences, getting tips and tricks of the trade from the company's writers and editorial staff. A writer can learn a lot here, from figuring out what subsection of Harlequin they should be targeting all the way to how to pitch it! It all culminates in this epic battle for a publishing deal with Harlequin Romance. They've been around forever, we all know this; I can remember seeing a Harlequin Romance or two on my mother's shelf when I was kid. Those books, incidentally, were the ones I was not allowed to read. (smile)

But Harlequin Romance doesn't just deal in your mother's romance novels anymore. They have opened up the doors to Paranormal Romance, Historicals, Young Adult, and even the spicier stories in which the book itself gets its own reserved space under your pillow! To see what I mean, check out their Submission Guidelines - there's something for everyone at Harlequin!

This contest, for me, is my NaNoWriMo - this is my second time entering and I'm pulling an 'Iron Man'; that is, to say, writing the book from a list of notes and ideas. The last time I participated, KIRBY was born... and I may not have won the contest, but I won a published novel. Only good can come from this, although sleeping less than five hours a night might not be a part of the 'good thing' equation. (smile again) The good news? I kicked back and had some fun at a Michael Buble concert last night in Brooklyn - sweet heavens, I'm inspired again! I'm a little surprised that I actually swooned for two straight hours! Enjoy the dreamy eyes... I know I did!

And that's my time - on to the day job I get! Please check out my submission by clicking the link below and leave a comment so that the editors know I'm there...peace out!

SYTYCW 2013 - COMPANY INK by Samantha Anne

xo,
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment